Quick recipe alert!
I love a good biriyani and my favourite part is definitely the long grains of spice-infused rice! Mushy rice in biryani is a big no no in my books..and it’s often the first thing we tend to mess up with 🙈
This is my go-to recipe and I have been making this for years now. I keep going back to this one whenever I am in short of time and craving a good biryani!
I hope you make this and enjoy it with your loved ones!
What you will need for the chicken marinade:
1. 500gm chicken ( I have used boneless)
2. 1/2cup yoghurt (thick)
3. 1tsbp garlic paste
4. 1tbsp ginger paste
5. 4tbsp lemon juice
6. 1tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
7. 1/2tsp cumin powder
8. 1/2tsp coriander powder
9. 1/4tsp nutmeg powder
10. 1/4 tsp mace powder
11. 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
12. 2tbsp salt
13. 1/2cup of fresh coriander and mint
14. 1/2cup fried onions
15. 2tsp ghee
What you will need for the rice:
1. 2.5 cups of rice (rinse the rice till the water clear and soak the rice for 20mins, then drain the water)
2. 6 cups of water ( bring it to a boil)
3. 1/2tsp cardamom powder
4. 2 bay leaves
5. Pinch of cumin seeds
6. 2 cinnamon sticks
7. 2/3 green chilli
8. 2tbsp salt
9. 1 cup fried onions
10. Fresh mint
11. Fresh coriander
12. 2/3 tbsp ghee
Mix all these spices and herbs and marinate the chicken for at least 15-20mins. Can leave overnight too, longer you let it be the better your chicken will taste.
Add 2tbsp ghee to a pan, add a bay leaf and a pinch of cumin seeds, 3/4 cloves.
Add the marinated chicken once the spices release an aroma.
Cook the chicken for 15-20mins in medium flame, in the last 5 minutes add more2tbsp of lemon juice.
The chicken is done when u can see the oil rising above the gravy.
Don’t forget to check the salt
Now for the rice,
- Bring the water to a boil with all the spices and salt, add the drained rice and cook till the rice is 80% done.
- Drain the rice and take a heavy-bottomed pan to do the layering.
- Oil the bottom of the pan, layer the rice first.
- Add the fried onion, fresh coriander and mint, few drops of ghee (optional)
- Then add a layer of the chicken curry.
- Cover the top layer with fried onion and the coriander n mint.
- Cover the pan with a foil and lid, and cook on very low heat for 20 minutes.
You can make 3/4 layers of the rice and chicken or you can just do one layer of rice followed by the chicken. Just don’t forget to top it with the herbs and fried onion!
Also, if you want to see the video for this recipe, please follow me @reemis.kitchen and watch it on IGTV and reels!