This has to be my most requested recipe! I think I make this veggie dish every other week because its just that delicious and easy! The beauty of this dish is you can mix and match any veggies as the real magic happens when you add the pach foron or Indian five spice blend, garlic and mustard oil. So, add or take away anything but don’t skimp out on these ingredients!
The five spice blend is a mix of cumin, fennel, mustard,fenugreek and nigella seeds. Lots of seeds but when these come together they bring out the best nutty aroma especially when hit with that mustard oil.
What you will need:
- 2tbsp mustard oil
- 2tsp mustard oil ( finish off-optional)
- 2 cloves of thinly sliced garlic
- 1tsp of the five spice blend
- 2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1.5tsp salt
- 1 cup of potatoes cubed
- 1 cup of carrots cubed
- 1/2cup warm water
- 1/2tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2tsp coarsely ground coriander
- 1/2cup of parboiled cauliflower
- 1/2cup of parboiled green beans
- Any coloured pepper/capsicum
- 3-4 green chilli slit in the middle
- 1/2tsp red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/4cup fresh coriander
- Fry the garlic, Indian five spice blend in the oil.
- Add the onions and saute well with some salt.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook this until they have a bite to it. Can take 10mins. Add some warm water and cook with lid on..
- Once the potatoes and carrots have cooked, add in your other veggies and cook for a few minutes on high heat. I have boiled the green beans and cauliflower separately for 5-6min each with 1/2tsp salt.
- Season well once you add the green beans. Don’t stir too much once you have added your boiled veggies. Add in the coriander powder.
- Add the peppers for a crunch at the end and cook for a couple of minutes, they will seem uncooked but will cook later in the residual heat.
- Finish off with some more mustard oil (optional), red chilli flakes, green chilli and fresh coriander.
Enjoy with some hot parathas or a plate of plain rice!
You can also see the full video recipe on my Instagram ➡️ reemis.kitchen!