This simple fried rice is a great alternative to the classic egg fried rice and is a special treat for all garlic lovers!
Fried rice is always best when you have the rice cooked from a day before or at least a few hours. Just make sure to cook your rice well, and once strained, lay it out flat and use fork to fluff while still hot. This will stop the rice from getting clumpy.
The rice you use is crucial if you want an authentic tasting fried rice and the shorter grains always work better. Otherwise, any rice you have in your pantry also works just fine!
For this chilli garlic rice, you will need to dry roast your red chilli flakes and thinly sliced garlic. Add to a blender along with some chopped onion to make a paste. The recipe below will make enough for this fried rice, but you can always make extra and use the paste in your curries, too.
What you will need:
- 4tsp red chilli flakes
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2tbsp oil
- 1/2 frozen mix veg
- 2 cups uncooked rice ( precook the rice)
- 1/4cup water
- 2tsp soya sauce
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp sugar
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 3tsp chopped spring onion
1. For the chilli garlic paste; Add the red chilli flakes along with half of the sliced garlic and dry roast for a couple of minutes. Add this to a blender along with half an onion and make into a smooth paste.
2. In a separate pan, add the oil, and once hot, add your your chilli garlic paste. Saute for a minute before adding the garlic and onions. Saute everything for a few minutes and you may need to add some water to prevent the onion-chilli mix from sticking to the pan.
3. Add the veggies, saute for five minutes, then add the rice. Lightly toss the rice with the soya sauce and rest of the seasonings.
4. Finish off with some chopped green onions.
Enjoy this spicy rice on its own or even better topped with a fried egg!