Stir fries make for a great weeknight meal! Leek stir fry on its own with some rice is great but even better when you add some prawns to the mix!
This dish comes together in less than 15 minutes and perfect for the nights when you just don’t have enough time or energy but need a homemade goodness.
Prepping leeks can seem tricky and my easy way out is to soak the leeks in warm water and then rinse out the stalks very well. Cut them into thin slices and run the rings under water and strain them well. Leeks don’t take that long to cook, which is why I always leave a handful on the side and add it to the stir fry towards the end for that extra crunch!
The quicker way to cook this dish is to use precooked prawns. If you are going to use raw prawns, then add the cooking time accordingly.
What you will need:
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1tsp dry roasted Nigella seeds
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2tsp oil
- 1tsp mustard oil
- 1tsp red chilli flakes
- 2-3 green chilli
- 1/4tsp turmeric
- 1/4tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2tsp cumin powder
- Salt as preferred
- 2tsp soya sauce
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3-4 big leeks thinly sliced
- 200g cooked prawns
1. Heat a pan with some oil. Add the garlic, nigella seeds and fry for a minute, before adding the onion and red chilli flakes.
2. Fry the onion till translucent, add some water if needed to soften the onions.
3. Add in the sliced leeks ( keep aside a handful for later) and fry on high heat for 10mins with some soya sauce.
4. Move all the leeks to one side of the pan, add some mustard oil and fry the prawns with the powdered spices and lemon juice for a couple of minutes.
5. Mix in remaining leeks and fry the whole mixture for a few minutes.
6. Finish off with some green chilli and fresh coriander.