Who doesn’t love a good roast chicken dinner! I love the traditional baked chicken but the one in the Instant Pot (IP) is extra special because the chicken is just so soft and the bonus is : cooks so much faster!
You don’t need to do much for this roast- just massage it well with the spices marinate for at least 15mins before cooking it.
Now, you will need some liquid to cook this in the IP and you can use chicken stock or you can crush up 1 maggi cube in 250ml of warm water and use that. Season your stock well with some extra black pepper. Once the chicken has cooked, you can then add some flour and cook down the stock to make a gravy or if you are a rice lover then just add some basmatic rice to the stock and you will have the most amazing chicken flavoured pulao!
What you will need:
- Whole chicken 1.5kg
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 8tbsp butter
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1/2tsp dried rosemary
- 1tsp coarse black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/2tsp red chilli flakes
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 250ml chicken stock
- Chop up 2 cloves of garlic and then melt the butter in a pan in very low heat for about 2-3minutes with all the herbs and spices except the salt, lemon juice and rest of the garlic. This will add loads of flavour to the butter without burning it. Add in the salt and black pepper once butter mix is taken off the heat and stir well.
- Rub the chicken with this spice mix, rub in half of the butter mix under the skin too.
- Pour the lemon juice all over the chicken and you can stuff rest of the garlic and half of a lemon in the chicken.
- Place the chicken (breast side up)on the trivet (this stand comes with the instant pot) and slowly place this in the pot.
- Set IP to high pressure and cook this for 24mins followed by a 15 minute natural pressure release. * (for your reference 7-8min high pressure per 1/2kg of chicken)
- Once the pressure has released, take out the chicken and broil it in a preheated oven at 220C for 5-6mins for the crispy skin.
To make the chicken gravy:
Pour all of the liquid from the pot into a bowl and skim off the excess fat at the top.
Set the IP to the sauté mode and melt in 3 tbsp butter. Whisk 3tbsp flour, for 1 minute until golden. Add that chicken fat and whisk until simmering. You should have a thickened gravy, turn off IP and serve the gravy with the roast chicken.
To make the the basmati pulao:
You should have about 500ml of chicken in the pot. Strain the liquid and skim off the excess fat. Add a cup of pre-soaked strained basmati sella rice to the pot and pour back the chicken stock.
Set the IP to rice mode and the time will set automatically to 8mins. Once cooked, keep on warm for 10mins and then use a fork to fluff the rice before serving.
There you have it! A roast chicken with gravy or pulao! It could not be easier!